The Commissioner representing Cross River State on the Board of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), Rt. Hon. Chief Orok Otu Duke, Ph.D., has expressed deep concern and sadness over the fire outbreak that gutted sections of SPAR Mall, popularly known as Calabar Mall, in the early hours of Saturday, August 22, 2026.
In a statement issued on Sunday, Duke sympathised with the management of Artee Group/SPAR Mall Nigeria, affected traders, shop owners, workers and others who suffered losses in the incident.
He noted that the mall had previously been protected from destruction during the EndSARS protests and recalled that he personally mobilised citizens of Ward 1, Calabar South, to help safeguard the facility at the time.
Duke expressed relief that no lives were lost and no serious injuries were recorded, attributing this to the grace of God and the efforts of emergency responders.
He commended the Cross River State Fire Service, the Nigeria Police Force and other security and emergency agencies for their prompt response in containing the fire, securing the premises and preventing further damage or looting.
The NDDC Commissioner, however, called for the recovery and deployment of some Cross River State Fire Service trucks which, he alleged, were recently discovered at the private residence of a former government official.
“While the exact cause of the fire is still under investigation, preliminary reports point to a possible electrical fault,” Duke said, urging the relevant authorities to conduct a “thorough, transparent and expeditious inquiry” to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident.
He stressed that the safety of lives and property in commercial centres must remain a collective priority, while lessons from the incident should be applied to prevent similar occurrences.
Duke also highlighted the economic significance of SPAR Mall to Calabar and Cross River State, describing it as a major commercial hub that supports businesses, jobs and livelihoods.
“As the representative of Cross River State on the NDDC Board, I recognise the significant economic impact of this incident on local businesses and livelihoods,” he said.
He pledged his readiness to support coordinated efforts by the Cross River State Government, under the leadership of Governor Bassey Otu, and other stakeholders to provide relief and facilitate the speedy recovery of affected businesses.
Duke further appealed to Cross Riverians, corporate organisations and other partners to extend practical assistance to those who suffered losses.
He said the incident should bring out the collective spirit, compassion and resilience of the people of Cross River State.
“May God comfort all those affected and grant them the strength to rebuild,” he concluded.

Comments
Post a Comment